Monday, March 29, 2010

Lulu and your mom


What are your signature pieces/ traits?
Jewelry is probably my signature. I wear a mix of Pamela Love and Yves Saint Laurent, and my red cord bracelets that my mom made for me (they're for good luck). My mom is very superstitious.
I'm also into loose fit tees and dresses.

What does your current wishlist consist of?A Pamela Love cross necklace, these American Apparel striped tights, and sheer socks, and this Limi Feu dress (isn't it amazing?)

Whose wardrobe would you steal besides the magical one in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"?
Mary-Kate, Erin Wasson

Aside from that, Celia Birtwell, wife of Ossie Clark. I bet she had the most amazing collection of 60's Ossie. And Courtney Love. Because... well... wouldn't you figure she'd hoard some crazy good shit?

Fashion inspirations?
Movies. Hot women. Japan.

Favorite online shops?
Bonadrag.com
Topshop.com
Shopbop.com

Favorite local shops?
I love Barneys (haha I know it's not really a "local shop", but we have one). And my friend Jenny's store Acrimony. She has a strong affinity for jewelry as well. And the Litter girls make gorgeous chains and shoe jewelry. They were kind enough to lend me a bunch for a cover shoot I did.

How long have you been blogging?2 years.

What made you decide to start blogging?I was creating content for a fashion networking start up. I took a bunch of pictures of myself and wrote up a few funny things. And I had all this extra material left over so...
my friend was like, "you should start a blog, I think people would really like you."

How do you think you became so loved in the fashion blogging world?
When I started my blog, the "blogging world" was relatively small. I kind of became the face of this start up, and I think a lot of young girls came to associate me with helping to grow this community.

How do your friends and family support your blogging?
My friends dig it. It's a great way for friends who live far away to keep up with me. My family doesn't really get it. They've never been that supportive of it, and I still struggle to make them understand. In a way, it's good, because they keep me grounded. It's bad, because... of the obvious.

How long have you been interested in fashion? How did your interest develop?
I've always been interested in fashion. It's the only thing I've ever been sure of. When I was younger, I used to lurk on AOL fashion message boards and other forums - total creep.

Where did you pick up your style?Right now, I'm settling into what I feel most comfortable wearing. I think I've tried every single look out there - goth, rock, girly, vintage, etc. And I always go back to the same look. Kind of Japanese, kind of street, with lots of slouchy elements, and tons of jewelry.

Has blogging affected your career? Has it lead you in a new direction in life?
It's given me so many wonderful opportunities. But moreso, it's helped me develop who I am and what I want to do with the rest of my life. This year will be very exciting, as I'm currently working on several deep rooted projects. I can't wait to share it with everyone!

Best advice to fashion lovers, bloggers and non bloggers?
Don't blog to get famous.

Personal benefits to blogging (can be immaterial or material).
I get to collaborate with publications and designers I admire a lot, such as POP magazine and Burberry. It also pushes me to learn layout, a little html, and other technical aspects. Learning is fun.

4 comments: